License renewal can be daunting at first glance. Do you have your CE Classes? Do you know where to renew? We do our best to help active licensees navigate renewal forms and Minnesota continuing education requirements.
Below are a few tips and tricks to getting a jump start on your license renewal:
- Know When You Expire.Your license renewal expires at the end of your birth month. A typical license period is 3 years. However, it can be shorter when you first get your license.
- Plan Ahead.The Minnesota Board of Cosmetology has up to 15 business days to process renewals. We suggest submitting your renewal the first week of your birth month. Early bird? You can submit your license renewal up to 10 weeks before your are expired.
- Don’t Be Late to Renew.
Unnecessary fees can be a drag. If you renew beyond your expiration date, you will have late fees. Additionally, you will not be able to provide service until you are active with the state.
- Select Your CE Classes Wisely.Renewals after August 1, 2017 require cosmetology, nail and esthetic licensees to take 8 Continuing Education Hours. These 8 CE hours consist of 4 hours in Professional Practices and 4 hours in Core Practices.The Core practices is a combination of health, safety and infection control under the scope of the United States Department of Labor’s OSHA standards. It also includes the most recent laws and rules governing cosmetology.The Professional Practices can range in multiple class topics related to the following:
- Product chemistry and chemistry interaction
- Proper use of machines and instruments
- Business management, professional ethics, and human relations
- Techniques relevant to they type of license held.
- Remain Active.Considering a retired or expired license? We suggest to remain active. Additional testing could be required to regain an active status. It is much easier to keep up with continuing education hours. Leave your options open if you have the slightest chance of becoming active again.
Atelier Academy offers both the Core and Professional courses online. This allows the flexibility of taking courses between work and life’s other commitments. Planning ahead is our biggest recommendation.
Our favorite links include:
If you plan to renew your license online with the MN State Board of Cosmetology, know your license number and last four of your social security number. These items are required to get into your online profile on the link above.